About 37 people have owned Activision Blizzard Inc. “abandoned” and 44 have been disciplined in response to allegations of sexual harassment.
About 37 people have owned Activision Blizzard Inc. “abandoned” and 44 have been disciplined in response to allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct at the company, according to a report Monday in the Wall Street Journal. Activision announced in October, as part of an internal investigation, that more than 20 employees had “left” and that at least 20 others had taken disciplinary action. The newspaper quoted a company spokeswoman for the higher numbers.
Chief Executive Officer Bobby Kotick withheld a report summarizing the actions to be released before the winter break, telling people it could make the company’s problems seem bigger than they knew, the paper reported, citing people who were familiar with the matter who did it did not name. More than three dozen employees had been fired or fired, the newspaper reported, citing the people.
Activision Blizzard representatives did not immediately respond to a request from Sirbpti for comment.
The Santa Monica, California-based company is facing a settlement after a lawsuit in July accused the company of promoting a “frat boy” culture of sexual harassment and discrimination.
Bobby Kotick, chief executive officer of Activision Blizzardhad announced on October 28, 2021, measures designed to strengthen protections against harassment at the video game giant — including a cut in his salary — following allegations of discrimination against women at the company. California-based Activision has been hit by employee protests and a state lawsuit alleging the company enabled toxic working conditions and sexual harassment of women.
Riot Games Settles Gender Discrimination Case for $100 Million
(Sirbpti) — Riot Games Inc., a subsidiary of Tencent Holdings Ltd., settled a sex discrimination lawsuit in 2018 by agreeing to pay $100 million in damages and legal fees.
The settlement agreement announced Monday provides that Riot will pay $80 million to all current and former employees and contractors who identify as women and have worked for Riot since November 2014. The payment will be distributed through a fund, pending court approval. An additional $20 million will cover attorneys’ fees and miscellaneous expenses, and Riot has agreed to have its payment processes overseen by a third party for a period of three years, the company said in a statement.
“This is a great day for the women of Riot Games — and for women at all video game and technology companies — who deserve a workplace free of harassment and discrimination,” said Genie Harrison, whose law firm represented the plaintiffs. “We appreciate Riot’s introspection and work since 2018 to become a more diverse and inclusive company, its willingness to take responsibility for its past and its commitment to continued fairness and equality in the future.”
The video game industry has gone through a period where sexism has come to an end, both in terms of the content of the entertainment it produces and in the workplace. The California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, which participated in the lawsuit against Riot Games, was at the forefront of this action. It also launched Activision Blizzard Inc. this summer. sued for his “frat boy” culture, leading to a settlement that saw an $18 million fund for alleged victims of discrimination or harassment at the company.
Parties and sexism have long been part of Blizzard’s office culture